Birchwood Area Community Land Trust – an Urban CLT
EMCLH is working with the local community in Birchwood, Lincoln, to bring forward ambitious community-led proposals for affordable housing on land currently owned by the City Council. Working with the Lincoln Birchwood Big Local group, EMCLH has assisted local residents to:
- Identify an appropriate site for affordable housing
- Broker negotiations with the current landowner
- Conduct extensive local consultation which demonstrates local support for the housing
- Identify a need for affordable housing for elderly people already living in the area
- Set up Birchwood Area Community Land Trust Ltd
- Bring in over £50,000 of outside grants and funding to progress the project
- Identify a well-matched Housing Association partner
EMCLH is continuing to support Birchwood Area Community Land Trust as they make their own application for Outline Planning Permission for around 60 new community-owned homes for the elderly.
The CLT has ambitions to secure the area in green into community ownership as public open space.